The Health and Wellbeing Department was set up in 2018 to help Trainers and Trainees get the most out of their training experience by enhancing their wellbeing and professional conduct during training.
We provide support and referral pathways for Trainers who are struggling with aspects of training devliery. We strive to get actively involved in the early identification and prevention of such issues, promoting wellbeing during the training process, and advancing strategic planning and collaboration within this area.
The department is staffed by a full-time psychologist, Hadas Levy B.A. Psychology, M.Sc. Counselling Psychology, and Professor Gaye Cunnane.
Our offerings include, but are not limited to the following:
- Providing expert advice and one-to-one professional support for Trainers who are experiencing mental health difficulties, affecting their training delivery
- Trainers’ remediation
- Assisting with relationship difficulties with Trainees
- Developing new courses and workshops, specially tailored for doctors, to help them manage stress and workplace challenges
- Developing policies and procedures for training sites regarding physician wellbeing, with an emphasis on early intervention and red flags for referral
- Informing and influencing national workforce policies on physician wellbeing
- Advocating for increased funding of physician wellbeing initiatives
Trainers can self-refer to the Health and Wellbeing Department by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
When should I contact the RCPI Health and Wellbeing service?
Trainers who contact the H&WB department in RCPI, do so for the following reasons:
- Seeking advice regarding a Trainee in difficulty
- Experiencing departmental conflict with other consultants which is affecting the provision of training
- Feeling burnt out and are not sure what to do about it
- Seeking mentoring
- Noticing a decline in their performance
- Have received critical feedback from their trainees
This list is not exhaustive. We strongly encourage our Trainers to make contact with us, confidentially email@example.com