You can apply to Higher Specialist Training in 28 programmes across our Faculties. You can apply to more than one programme, although we advise against applying to more than two programmes.
You must submit a separate application for each programme. The application process is fully online –you don’t need to submit a paper application.
Make sure you read the entry requirements for your chosen programme carefully. The entry requirements are listed in the HST Curriculum for each programme.
Shortlisting for interviews (where necessary) will take place in December/January. Interviews for shortlisted candidates take place in February.
As there are a limited number of places in HST, entry to each programme is competitive.
***PLEASE NOTE ALL REQUIRED DOCUMENTS MUST BE SUBMITTED AT THE TIME OF APPLICATION.
PLEASE ENSURE YOU HAVE ALL DOCUMENTS BEFORE BEGINNING YOUR APPLICATION. LATE DOCUMENT SUBMISSIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED***
- Certificate of completion of Basic Specialist Training (BST)
- Evidence of postgraduate qualification such as MRCPI
- Proof of Irish Medical Council registration / eligibility for registration
- Proof of English language competency
- Two Appraisal Forms (PDF, 97KB)
- Passport identity page
- Stamp 4 Residency Permit (if applicable to you – other types of Residency Permits do not need to be submitted)
Download further details on these documents and a checklist to assist with your application preparation (PDF, 255KB).
There are three ways to confirm your eligibility for Irish Medical Council (IMC) registration:
- Submit your certificate of current or previous registration on one of the divisions of the IMC.
- If you are not currently and have never been registered on one of the divisions of the IMC, you may be considered automatically eligible for registration if you completed your medical degree in one of a list of EU countries. A list of eligible countries is available in our Entry Guidance and Advice section. If your country is listed, your academic transcript which you are required to submit will confirm your medical degree was completed in that country.
- If you do not fall into either category 1 or 2 above, please contact the IMC and ask them to provide a letter confirming your eligibility for registration and submit this with your application.
If you completed BST in July 2021 or earlier but do not yet have your BST Certificate, please apply now by contacting Helpdesk@rcpi.ie. Please note, you must have your BST Certificate before your HST interview and by 31 January 2022 at the latest.
The online application form will ask you for the following information:
- employment and training history
- clinical practice - experience to date
- academic achievements
- teaching experience
- audit experience
- research experience
- presentations to date
- publications to date
- management and leadership experience
- career objectives
- contact details of two references, one of whom must be your most recent supervising consultant (must be same two references who have completed your Appraisal Forms)
Please note you are not required to submit additional documents related to the above. Please be brief in describing only relevant experience under each of the headings on the application form.
Please note that formatting (paragraphs, special characters, bullet points, spacing etc.) will not copy over to your final application. All free text boxes are limited to 500 characters (letters/spaces etc).
Interview details will be posted in the Current Applications box above.
Click here to access the RCPI Help Centre for more Frequently Asked Questions on applying to HST. Alternatively, we have a dedicated team to help you through your Higher Specialist Training, available to deal with any questions you may have. Contact us on email@example.com