skip to main content
Lifelong Learning

Apply for CPD Approval


Information for Employers


Educational activities in your hospital or workplace

If you are organising an educational activity for doctors in your hospital or workplace, it may fall under the Internal (Practice Evaluation and Development) CPD category, and if so, it is not necessary to apply for CPD Approval.

Employers do have a responsibility for supporting their doctors maintenance of Professional Competence, you can learn more from this document.


Typical Internal Educational Activities

Examples of meeting types:

  • Journal clubs
  • Grand rounds
  • Multi-disciplinary team meetings (MTD)
  • Faculty meetings
  • Editorial meetings
  • Legal briefings
  • Case studies
  • Handover meetings
  • Work groups
  • Review groups
  • Committee meetings - Credits for activities related to committee meetings can be claimed under the internal category. However, a doctor’s PCS activity must be balanced and mirror his/her clinical practice and activity and reflect his/her scope of practice across all domains of practice. Participation on committees is eligible for Internal CPD credits to a maximum of 5 credits each year. There must be a patient safety element to the remit of the committee.

Examples of courses

Training, assessment or re-assessment of practical and other skills carried out at work such as:

  • Accreditation or re-accreditation courses for life saving/resuscitation
  • Anti-microbial stewardship
  • Safe prescribing
  • Hand hygiene
  • Manual handling

Examples of online educational activities

  •, for example, online training provided for your employees
  • Online courses with topics that relate to your doctor's practice in the workplace

Evidence for Internal CPD

Doctors are required to collect evidence of having participated in Internal educational activities.  As many of these are recurring daily, weekly or monthly, the ideal evidence to provide is a summary of the doctor's attendance between 1 May and 30 April of the relevant Professional Competence Year, in the form of a certificate or letter on your official letterhead.

Useful documents